This is Part 11 of the Saturday Sermons series.
Main Point: Hidden inside of Genesis 5, is a clear picture of the demise and deliverance of mankind. Using the names listed in this genealogy of man’s failure, we start to see the drama of redemption unfold.
The Gospel in a Genealogy
Text: Genesis 5
Adam- Red Earth
- Mans fallen state.
- Earthy. Worldly. It speaks of man by nature. We are away from God and His righteousness.
- 1 Cor 15:22, 47
- Is 64:6
- Is 53:6 – transition scripture
Seth – Substitute.
- Calvary – Jesus our propitiation.
- But a substitute came to lift us from our worldy state. The scriptures demanded it and it was Jesus Christ come to take our place on the hill.
- Romans 3:25
- 1 Jn 2:2
- 1 Jn 4:10
Enos- Fraility. Mortality, Dying.
- Speaks of Jesus becoming frail that we might become strong. Seth speaks of the substitute, and Enos speaks of that substitute dying.
- The ram died in the thicket that Isaac might live just as Christ died that we might live also
- Hebrews 2:14-15
- 1 Peter 2:24
- Rom 4:25
- 1 Cor 15:3
- John 10:18
- John 15:13
Cainan- to purchase or Posses by purchase
- He bought us literally off the auction block of satan.
- 1 Peter 1:18-19
- Ephesians 1:7
- Col 1:14
- Acts 20:28
Mahaleel – God shines forth
- The resurrection
- What seperates God from the other gods, He arose.
- Revelation 1:17-18
- Acts 2:24
- Eph 4:8
- Transition scripture Acts 1:3
Jared – Pour out.
- Acts 1:8
- Acts 2:1-4
- Acts 2:16-18
- Young/Old = Age barrier
- Male/Female = Sex barrier
- All flesh = Race barrier
- Last Days = Space barrier
- A real Pentecost will break all barriers.
- Acts 8:16-17
- Acts 10:44
- Acts 11:15
- Pentecost will never fully come to you, till you fully come to Pentecost (T.F.)
- Dr. Luke maintained his old pharmaceutical phrases: 8x in chapters 2-5, He uses the word filled … Dr. Luke knew that the Great Physician Jesus could fill any prescription.
Enoch – The Holy Ghost is teaching us and instructing us the way of God.
- This is our present generation. And the generation that is going to be raptured out of here.
- Perhaps focus on He is coming in this generation
- 2 Peter 1:4-11
- 1 Thessalonians 4
- #7 = completion
- And he was not …
Methuselah- when he is dead it shall be sent
Lamech – Power, some say conquering king.
- When Jesus comes back with His army of saints.
Noah – Rest