The genesis of marriage has many relevant insights to offer us. God took the time to speak both to married couples, and those that are someday going to be married. Let’s take a look.
Genesis 2:20-25 – And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him. And the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof; And the rib, which the Lord God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man. And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man. Therefore shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and shall be one flesh. And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.
1. Before Adam was given a wife, he was given a job. A good first step for many single guys would be to get a job.
2. God noticed that this job wasn’t enough to fulfill the needs of Adam. Therefore God created Adam a wife. Man, your job isn’t going to complete you – your wife will. Your focus should be where God put the focus.
3. Adam was single, but not desperate. He allowed God to bring him Eve when God felt the time was right. God has somebody for you, so don’t push the envelope.
4. Both Adam and Eve had a personal relationship with God before they had a relationship with each other.
5. It was God that brought these two together. Quit looking for your future spouse outside the church.
6. Both Adam and Eve were willing to follow God’s guidance before they were married. Find somebody that can be led of God before you are married. The chances are they will be able to help you live in a godly manner when you are married.
7. They became one flesh only after they were married. Sex as ordained of God is to be enjoyed by married couples. No exceptions.