This is Part 9 of the Saturday Sermons series.
Main Point: This is a message about revival. What does it take to bring forth spiritual fruit? Is there a gimmick? A program? No – it takes a God connection. I don’t add a conclusion, every context is different: therefore, I leave the conclusion to you. Whatever aspect of revival needs focus should get the final push.
THE MANDRAKE MISTAKE.
TEXT: GENESIS 30:14-23
LEAH AND RACHEL.
- The bible says while nobody else saw Leah…God did.
- He saw she was hated and the Lord opened up her womb. A God connection.
- It doesn’t matter what doors are closed to you in the natural…when God opens you up in the spiritual those natural doors are going to open.
- #1 Problem: Leah is so concerned about what she doesn’t have that she forgets about what she does have.
- She looks right over the tops of her 4 children’s heads and sees Rachel with Jacob.
- You need to fall in love with what you do have.
- I don’t have the relationship I want, but thank God I am bringing forth Children.
- Never let what you don’t have diminish what you do have.
- #2 Problem. Rachel envies her sister.
- When you are blessed get ready for the adversaries to show up.
- Don’t measure yourself by someone else Rachel or you will never be satisfied.
- She begins to envy and they both are barren as a result.
- Now even Leah is having to birth babies by proxy. Her handmaid.
- You want to see a church dry up, let envy get loose
- #3 Problem: Rachel wasn’t concerned with the family getting greater, but rather herself getting greater.
- I want it for me. The handmaid that hinders revival. It must be about the Kingdom.
- #4 Problem: Looking in all the wrong places.
- Note: Rachel prays her much quoted prayer Give me Children or I die to Jacob not God. Jacob can’t give you this revival.
- Then Rachel gets satisfied with a substitute revival. Her handmaid is having children and she is claiming them as her own.
- Finally She feels like she has found Leah’s secret.
- Reuben is in the field and finds mandrakes. Rachel finds out about it and feels she has Leah’s secret now.
- Much used in so-called love potions.
- It was believed that conception was insured by eating it.
- It was pleasant to the smell. Or to the senses.
- Notice this Mandrake was the byproduct of someone elses harvest.
- This must be Leah’s secret.
- But in actuality Leah’s secret was the fact that God had opened her womb.
- It was God connection.
- It is still the same today. There isn’t a gimmick to revival. It takes a God connection.
- The root is said to resemble a man.
- Genesis 2:8 – and the Lord God planted a garden
- Genesis 2:9 – and out of the ground made the Lord God to grow every tree…
- If God plants…it will grow. The root man or God?
- Something must have clicked after the mandrakes failed to get her pregnant.
- You know Leah has all kinds of time alone. I wonder who she is talking to… Rachel must have realized that Leah had a God connection.
- Genesis 30:22 – and God hearkened to her, and opened her womb.
- Hearkened – to hear something with ones ears…the God connection.
- #1 Moses has climbed a mountain and met God. The people are down on the plain and they want the same thing.
- To get God you have to climb.
- #2 Aaron calls a work of the fire, what was actually a work of the flesh.
- I threw it in the fire and this calf came out.
- #3 They wanted a God to go before them. So the bible says they molded a calf.
- God was going to go before them on the ark of the Covenant but it was going to require 2 cherubims to be beaten into place before He would show up..
- Big difference between being made from a mold. And being beaten into position. A move of God requires some hammering into shape.
- Brought me again. Been here before?
- The angel gives him a glimpse of what he could have. Then brings him back to the brink or beginning.
- Now he doesn’t go with him…its up to you to walk this out.
- 1000 cubits they walk and they are only up to the ankles. That can be pretty disheartening.
- Are you hungry enuf for the deep that you’ll venture out and walk and walk and walk? Depth takes endurance.
- Little by little getting deeper in the things of God. Nothing is going to happen over night.
- The deeper you get, the greater the resistance. The water is resisting to a walk the deeper you get.
FLOW FACTS: PSALM 133.
- Starts slow (snow on the Mt. Top) ends fast (Jordan River).
- Hermon – devotion.
- Starts on the high devoted place.
- Devotion starts the flow.
- Big difference between Jacob at Bethel scared of Esau. And Jacob at Jabbok scared of Esau.
- At Bethel he found God by himself. And had a vision and a vow.
- But from Chapter 28 to 32 Jacob learned to get by.
- The 2nd time that Esau comes for him:
- #1 tries gifts. My gifts will clear the way.
- #2 then he tries organization. Splits his group into 3 bands.
- Finally prayer produces the powerful outcome.
CHARIOTS AND HORSES.
- Chariots failed in Exodus 14:25 when everything dried up.
- What is an ornate chariot worth without a horse?
- I Kings 10:29 – and a chariot came up and went out of Egypt for six hundred shekels of silver, and an horse for an hundred and fifty:
- Solomon was willing to pay more for mechanics than he was power.
- Israel gets the mechanics of the Philistines and tries to have a move of God.
- This fails and produces death instead of life.
- Carts have wheel that go in circles and create ruts.
- David you must have men. Put the ark on their shoulders. Thereby getting connected to the God on the ark.
- Men connected to God is what brings forth revival.