Philemon is one of the shortest books in the bible. It is pointed and poignant. Paul gave some very insightful instructions in this book. As Paul wrote these instructions he said something very powerful.
Philemon 21 – Having confidence in thy obedience I wrote unto thee, knowing that thou wilt also do more than I say.
Wow. That is something I hope could be said of every one of us. Generally in today’s world the bare minimum is the standard. I will do what is required. No more. No less.
Christians need to push for higher standards.
- Be the best employee your boss has ever had.
- Go above and beyond in your community service.
- When working for God, do what is required and then some.
- When your pastor challenges you to fast one day a week, fast two.
- Have your own prayer meetings at home, praying for your neighbors needs.
- Search the scriptures daily, looking for fresh insight.
- Initiate relationships with your neighbors.
- Serve your spouse with new flavor.
- Turn off the phone and play with your kids.
- Lend a helping hand to strangers.
- Keep yourself in good shape: physically, mentally, and spiritually.
- When you are asked to go one mile – go two.
- Whatever your hand finds to do – do it with all your might.